Texas Independence Relay Info

The Texas Independence Relay is composed of 40 relay legs of various lengths, totaling over 200 miles. The course starts in Gonzales, TX, where the Texas Revolution began, and it finishes at the San Jacinto Monument, where Texas Independence was won!

The relay will run from March 7th - 8th.

8 original Waiting for Runs Relay members will be returning (we will miss abelisle, the Foos, & Mystery runner)

This time, we will up the challenge and have 9 runners in a luxurious 15 passenger van. This means no resting time for the 2nd van.

Keep an eye out here for updated info and up to the minute updates.

2009 Texas Independence Relay Runners

  • 1) 1Miletogo
  • 2) Monk_Monkey
  • 3) noels71
  • 4) texasbuckeye
  • 5) mawz76
  • 6) wondermom24
  • 7) slowashell
  • 8) James
  • 9) SusieQ

Texas Independence Relay Map

Texas Independence Relay Map
Click the Map for individual Leg Maps

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Thank you for NOT smoking!!!

So after my final leg late on Sunday morning, I let Van 1 in on my secret.... My last cigarrette had been early Friday morning, before driving up to wondermom24's house for the drive up to Northern California!

I've been a half-pack-a-day smoker for the past 14 years and have tried three times in the past 4 years to quit. I've tried to quit for my kids, I've tried to quit for my husband, who stopped smoking himself in 2006.

I knew I wouldn't be able to do it until I was ready. I felt like this trip up north for The Relay would be the perfect opportunity. I'd be away from the normal stressors of my everyday life, around people I'd never met (except for wondermom24). I was hoping that no one on the team smoked, because that might have spelled disaster for me. Luckily, no one did, at least not that I saw. Actually it wasn't until the finish it Santa Cruz, that I saw a man smoking near the beach. By then, I was two days smoke-free and it was bearable.

So here I am, on the other side, with 5 full days under my belt. I have tried and failed before, but I feel good this time. I am doing it for me and for my running. Watching my other teammates kicking up the dust and 'smoking' all those road kills out there!... was hugely inspiring and at times a little humbling for me!

So thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU to Team Waiting For Runs for being there for me when you didn't even know it. For replacing my cravings with laughter and showing me that I can take this running thing only as far as I'm willing to allow it!

And as wondermom24 suggested on our drive home on Monday... If I can make it 2 weeks without smoking, I will be rewarding myself with a registration into the Disneyland Half Marathon this August. I had previously decided against it because of the pricey entry fee. But hey, I'll be saving that money on cigarrettes!!!

Thanks again everyone!

mawz76

6 comments:

Unknown said...

how great, mawz!
congratulations!
GGP

1miletogo said...

Wow, congrats mawz! You can do it we are all pulling for you! You have done the hard part and gone almost a week. Smooth sailing from here on out!

When you feel like smoking again, look at the relay medal as a reminder of your smoke free adventure! Go get them, and we will see you at the next one!

Anonymous said...

Great work mawz!

I used to be pack-a-day smoker up until 2 years ago and one day I just decided I'd had enough. You can do it.

Start putting the money you'd spend on cigarettes in a glass jar. You'll be amazed at how quickly it piles up.

PMag

Unknown said...

Great job mawz...you can do it! So I'll see ya at Disneyland in August!

Marlise said...

Thanks everyone! So far it feels great! I will be getting my first post-relay run in this afternoon and I'm sure I'll feel a difference, now that my lungs are starting to clear out! :)

wondermom24 said...

Mawz, I know you can do it! We're all behind you! You'll love running Disneyland. I'll see you there!

Relay Medal

Relay Medal

Team Waiting for Runs - Slideshow

1Mile's Relay Photo Stream

Texasbuckeye's pics

wondermom24's photos

abelisle's Relay Photos

mawz76's Relay Photos