Texas Independence Relay Info

The Texas Independence Relay is composed of 40 relay legs of various lengths, totaling over 200 miles. The course starts in Gonzales, TX, where the Texas Revolution began, and it finishes at the San Jacinto Monument, where Texas Independence was won!

The relay will run from March 7th - 8th.

8 original Waiting for Runs Relay members will be returning (we will miss abelisle, the Foos, & Mystery runner)

This time, we will up the challenge and have 9 runners in a luxurious 15 passenger van. This means no resting time for the 2nd van.

Keep an eye out here for updated info and up to the minute updates.

2009 Texas Independence Relay Runners

  • 1) 1Miletogo
  • 2) Monk_Monkey
  • 3) noels71
  • 4) texasbuckeye
  • 5) mawz76
  • 6) wondermom24
  • 7) slowashell
  • 8) James
  • 9) SusieQ

Texas Independence Relay Map

Texas Independence Relay Map
Click the Map for individual Leg Maps

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Priorities

So, I got home from the Relay with two days of PTO ahead of me. Why two days of PTO after the race? you ask. Well, because I was signed up to do this little race in Boston on Monday, and to fly home on Tuesday. I still have the Boston Marathon bib number pickup card stuck up on my fridge. Many of my friends have Boston stories to tell. They watched the trials, ran the race, experienced that one-of-a-kind Boston experience that they say no other race can replicate.

I've been running for many years now, but I've never run the Boston Marathon. I'd like to, of course. I'd like the experience and (yes) the bragging rights and the cool jacket. And when I got the chance to run the EAS Santa Cruz Relay on the weekend of Boston, I was really torn. I even tried to figure out a way to do both, but eventually financial reality and common sense prevailed.

I'm not the least bit sorry about not going to Boston. I wouldn't trade the weekend I had with my team for anything. Streets lined with screaming spectators could never compare to pitch-black California back roads. I'd take the mountains of Napa over the Newton hills, without hesitation. And I'd take cheering on my fabulous teammates, primal-screaming their way through the finish of a last hard leg, over watching Deena Kastor run in the Olympic Trials.

Thanks, all of you. I'm still flying high three days later. I expect the high is going to last for a good while.

And maybe I'll run Boston next year . . . but only if it doesn't conflict with this race!

4 comments:

1Miletogo said...

The Relay next year is May 2nd & 3rd.

texasbuckeye said...

glad you had as much fun as i did, there were some memories.

Marlise said...

Thank you so much for ditching your dream this year to run with a bunch of crazy strangers! It wouldn't have been the same without you!

wondermom24 said...

Wow, you had a chance to run Boston! You inspire me! Thanks for running with us - can't wait to do it again next year!

Relay Medal

Relay Medal

Team Waiting for Runs - Slideshow

1Mile's Relay Photo Stream

Texasbuckeye's pics

wondermom24's photos

abelisle's Relay Photos

mawz76's Relay Photos