Texas Independence Relay Info

The Texas Independence Relay is composed of 40 relay legs of various lengths, totaling over 200 miles. The course starts in Gonzales, TX, where the Texas Revolution began, and it finishes at the San Jacinto Monument, where Texas Independence was won!

The relay will run from March 7th - 8th.

8 original Waiting for Runs Relay members will be returning (we will miss abelisle, the Foos, & Mystery runner)

This time, we will up the challenge and have 9 runners in a luxurious 15 passenger van. This means no resting time for the 2nd van.

Keep an eye out here for updated info and up to the minute updates.

2009 Texas Independence Relay Runners

  • 1) 1Miletogo
  • 2) Monk_Monkey
  • 3) noels71
  • 4) texasbuckeye
  • 5) mawz76
  • 6) wondermom24
  • 7) slowashell
  • 8) James
  • 9) SusieQ

Texas Independence Relay Map

Texas Independence Relay Map
Click the Map for individual Leg Maps

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Monk's Nike+ Relay Runs

Overall the Nike+ was very close! My Garmin seemed to report that the legs were not exactly dead on, either, because the course was not exactly set in stone.

My first leg was around 2 pm on roads along side the vineyards. Beautiful and a bit breezy! This is the run where I had to kick at the end to beat the guy running with me! Very fun. I handed off to 1Mile and he took off on a dirt trail into the vineyards. There were a couple of hills and you can see that in the graph!



This was my leg at 2 a.m.-ish. I got the hand off from texas after he crossed the Golden Gate Bridge. I was wearing my head lamp, reflective vest, flasher light and I added a glow stick to my water bottle. I ran through a bit of suburbia and could see the city sprawled out below on my left. The course was uphill the first part and then peaked at a cliff-side view of the ocean. The moon shining on the waves was beautiful and I thanked the big guy above for the view as I ran down the big hill to the flat 3 mile stretch alongside the waterfront. I slowed down a lot here and sort of lost all sense of time. But I finally made it to the exchange and handed off to 1Mile again.



My last leg was entirely downhill. After texas ran up and handed off the replacement baton to me, he let out a might primal scream that inspired me to enjoy my last run. Now you'd think this would be my fastest leg but it isn't. My left knee started to scream bloody murder about 3 miles into it and I had to take it easy. You can also see in the graph a big dip when I lost my hat and had to turn around and run back uphill about .25 mile to find it. It was a beautiful run but I was happy to be done and see 1Mile for my last baton pass (which had to be a wonder twins knuckle punch because somewhere along that mighty hill I had lost the replacement baton, sorry guys!



I am so proud of this team! I cannot WAIT to run with you all again.

~Monk

1 comment:

texasbuckeye said...

were you warned about the primal scream before i ran up? hope so, or i'm guessing it was quite shocking.

Relay Medal

Relay Medal

Team Waiting for Runs - Slideshow

1Mile's Relay Photo Stream

Texasbuckeye's pics

wondermom24's photos

abelisle's Relay Photos

mawz76's Relay Photos