Texas Independence Relay Info

The Texas Independence Relay is composed of 40 relay legs of various lengths, totaling over 200 miles. The course starts in Gonzales, TX, where the Texas Revolution began, and it finishes at the San Jacinto Monument, where Texas Independence was won!

The relay will run from March 7th - 8th.

8 original Waiting for Runs Relay members will be returning (we will miss abelisle, the Foos, & Mystery runner)

This time, we will up the challenge and have 9 runners in a luxurious 15 passenger van. This means no resting time for the 2nd van.

Keep an eye out here for updated info and up to the minute updates.

2009 Texas Independence Relay Runners

  • 1) 1Miletogo
  • 2) Monk_Monkey
  • 3) noels71
  • 4) texasbuckeye
  • 5) mawz76
  • 6) wondermom24
  • 7) slowashell
  • 8) James
  • 9) SusieQ

Texas Independence Relay Map

Texas Independence Relay Map
Click the Map for individual Leg Maps

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Pekingese Puppy Palace?

We are currently on the way to the 3rd van exchange. We had a nice soup and sandwich dinner at the Cheese factory after leg 12. The wind has been blowing pretty good since somewhere during Monks leg. The Gnome has been traveling and people are now requesting to get pictures with him. He has obtained celebrity status!

Leg 8 was great and I ran it a little faster than my projected 7:30 pace, I can really feel the elevation difference. So when we were driving to the 8th exchange, we saw Dean for the first time, it was great. Since then we have seen him at every exchange as he leaped frogged us. His father actually ran the first part of leg 8, but some runners took a wrong turn and ended up going a wrong direction. It was great to see dean and his support team.

The first 3 miles of leg 3 wove through the vineyards, very scenic, there was a pretty quick and steep hill about a mile in. About 2 miles in I passed a house with a lot of yapping little dogs. It sounded like what a Peruvian Pekingese Puppy Place would sound like. The vineyards were great, but I didn't hear any harps and there weren't any grapes to taste. The vines were small and not the high walled and mazes that I had envisioned that the vineyard run would be. The markings were well displayed that showed which direction to take. Within the vineyards I only passed 2 people.

Then I went out onto the freeway and onward I went. I soon saw many chances to rack up Road Kill points, and I tell you, it was almost a Primal feeling, seeing a runner coming up and knowing that I would get some roadkill points. Very motivational to run hard & Fast.

Before I knew it the leg was over, 7.4 miles in 54 minutes. A pretty good pace and time was had. I saw wondermom and readied the baton, there was another roadkill possibility, but he was too far ahead!

Wondermom's son met us after her leg, and Alex was off on the longest and hardest leg of the race, and the wind was blowing hard. As we waited for Alex we captured some more Gnome shots and van photos. We chatted with Dean's Dad, and he told us his story of Leg 8 and how he got off track. A very nice guy!

So, all in all, the adventure is going well and I will release the laptop to the next person to fill you in.

1Mile out for now!

2 comments:

MightyWeezie said...

OMG...You guys look like you are having so much fun. All day I've been thinking "I wonder who's running right now?" I totally forgot about this blog until tonight. (So I wonder who's running at this exact moment??? - 12:44am est) Seeing all the pics definitely makes me envious!! Hey WM...nice SXD shirt!!! :D

csalazar said...

Looks like you guys are having a great time. Any idesa when the teams accoplishments will be updated?

Relay Medal

Relay Medal

Team Waiting for Runs - Slideshow

1Mile's Relay Photo Stream

Texasbuckeye's pics

wondermom24's photos

abelisle's Relay Photos

mawz76's Relay Photos