Texas Independence Relay Info

The Texas Independence Relay is composed of 40 relay legs of various lengths, totaling over 200 miles. The course starts in Gonzales, TX, where the Texas Revolution began, and it finishes at the San Jacinto Monument, where Texas Independence was won!

The relay will run from March 7th - 8th.

8 original Waiting for Runs Relay members will be returning (we will miss abelisle, the Foos, & Mystery runner)

This time, we will up the challenge and have 9 runners in a luxurious 15 passenger van. This means no resting time for the 2nd van.

Keep an eye out here for updated info and up to the minute updates.

2009 Texas Independence Relay Runners

  • 1) 1Miletogo
  • 2) Monk_Monkey
  • 3) noels71
  • 4) texasbuckeye
  • 5) mawz76
  • 6) wondermom24
  • 7) slowashell
  • 8) James
  • 9) SusieQ

Texas Independence Relay Map

Texas Independence Relay Map
Click the Map for individual Leg Maps

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Monk Updateaoonie

Hello listeners, we have been in a 'black out' zone of some kind, unable to post! So much has happend. Van 2 is on its way to cross the Golden Gate Bridge and wait to begin our next set of 6 legs. We are stinky but happy.

My leg was the 7th. It was bright and sunny and I was nervous and ready to go. A bit of panic when I couldn't get my Nike+ to work. But I relinked the sensor and was ready for super team captain, texasbuckeye, as he sped around the corner and passed me the 'baton' bracelet.

I recalibrated my Nike+ with my Garmin the first .25 miles for accuracy. I started the run at the same time as another team's runner and shadowed him. He got quite a lead on me and my chances for road kill seemed slim until he slowed down to sort of throw up. I thought, "this is my chance! No mercy!", but he kept going once I caught up with him. We shadowed each other the entire run. Up that first big hill and through the vineyards. We chatted a little but I could tell this guy didn't want me to pass him.

We both had garmin's and both knew when there was only .50 miles to go. I sped up. He sped up. I kicked. He kicked. I started sprinting and so did he. It was neck and neck! I think we tied, but my team says the other guy looked like he was about to die. I will count him as a well earned road kill. I hope I can pick him out on the next leg where I will meet texasbuckeye as he finishes crossing the GG Bridge.

See you later readers! Thanks for all your support!!

~Monk

2 comments:

MAT2006 said...

Awesome report! He definitely counts as roadkill!

I'm glad radio silence has been broken. You are all doing great - keep safe in the darkness!

Stuart said...

Great stuff team, sounds like your having a blast!

I'll be thinking off you all as O hobble around tommorow.

Relay Medal

Relay Medal

Team Waiting for Runs - Slideshow

1Mile's Relay Photo Stream

Texasbuckeye's pics

wondermom24's photos

abelisle's Relay Photos

mawz76's Relay Photos