Texas Independence Relay Info

The Texas Independence Relay is composed of 40 relay legs of various lengths, totaling over 200 miles. The course starts in Gonzales, TX, where the Texas Revolution began, and it finishes at the San Jacinto Monument, where Texas Independence was won!

The relay will run from March 7th - 8th.

8 original Waiting for Runs Relay members will be returning (we will miss abelisle, the Foos, & Mystery runner)

This time, we will up the challenge and have 9 runners in a luxurious 15 passenger van. This means no resting time for the 2nd van.

Keep an eye out here for updated info and up to the minute updates.

2009 Texas Independence Relay Runners

  • 1) 1Miletogo
  • 2) Monk_Monkey
  • 3) noels71
  • 4) texasbuckeye
  • 5) mawz76
  • 6) wondermom24
  • 7) slowashell
  • 8) James
  • 9) SusieQ

Texas Independence Relay Map

Texas Independence Relay Map
Click the Map for individual Leg Maps

Monday, April 21, 2008

Leg Two-It's dark out here

So leg two was part of the "night running" portion. I expected that I would run at dark at some juncture, but never sorted it prior to starting.
My second leg was the night run. The run started at the San Geronimo Presbyterian Church. They had some homemade soup that runners could buy. It smelled really good, but unfortunately my time was short, so I could not partake.

I was not sure what to wear for the run. The night was really cold and the wind was viscous. It seemed a bit better where we were, but I was still feeling the cold. Even up to the last minute as I waited for mysteryrunner to come in. I settled on wearing the pants and a long sleeve shirt. I was also outfitted with a vest and a red blinking light attached to the vest in the back. I also had on a headlamp, and carried a small flashlight. I also was wearing a pair of gloves. Noels asked if I needed anything else. I was a little thirsty, and remembering how parched I was on my first leg, I said a gateraid would be great. He said he would pass it to me as the drove by.

I was very excited to start. I was really looking forward to getting out there. I do a lot of my running during the evening, so running in the dark was nothing new. But I also run in a city with a lot of street lamps.
The leg was #15, it was 6.5 miles and was listed as hard. It started at 79', and hit a high of 471' feet. But I didn't really know that, so mentally I wasn't worried. It also was a straight shot and ended in the town of San Anselmo.
I made the exchange with mysteryrunner and headed out. It was just wonderful being out there. At one point there was no traffic or other runners. It was just me the moon. The wind died down, so it ended up being warmer. I wish I had stuck with a short sleeve and shorts. But it is hard to judge.
The relay van stopped as they were passing me and I grabbed a gateraid out of an outstretched hand and kept running.
I felt really great and hit the hill. It wasn't until I was nearly done that I registered that I was climbing a pretty steep hill. I could really start feeling it, but pushed on and hit the top. The downhill was just wild. I was flying down! I thought I was going to tumble and had to work hard to slow down. It was a thrill though.
I hit the town and knew I was getting close, but I wasn't sure how long the leg was. I just kept at it. Back in the van I started to feel the effects of the run and the long day, I was ready to get some sleep. But that would not really happen.

1 comment:

Marlise said...

Great job, Foo! That outstretched hand was mine, by the way... hope to be able to hand you a Gatorade again next year!

Relay Medal

Relay Medal

Team Waiting for Runs - Slideshow

1Mile's Relay Photo Stream

Texasbuckeye's pics

wondermom24's photos

abelisle's Relay Photos

mawz76's Relay Photos