Texas Independence Relay Info

The Texas Independence Relay is composed of 40 relay legs of various lengths, totaling over 200 miles. The course starts in Gonzales, TX, where the Texas Revolution began, and it finishes at the San Jacinto Monument, where Texas Independence was won!

The relay will run from March 7th - 8th.

8 original Waiting for Runs Relay members will be returning (we will miss abelisle, the Foos, & Mystery runner)

This time, we will up the challenge and have 9 runners in a luxurious 15 passenger van. This means no resting time for the 2nd van.

Keep an eye out here for updated info and up to the minute updates.

2009 Texas Independence Relay Runners

  • 1) 1Miletogo
  • 2) Monk_Monkey
  • 3) noels71
  • 4) texasbuckeye
  • 5) mawz76
  • 6) wondermom24
  • 7) slowashell
  • 8) James
  • 9) SusieQ

Texas Independence Relay Map

Texas Independence Relay Map
Click the Map for individual Leg Maps

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Night Run!

Leg 2 began for me around 11:34 pm on Saturday. I took over from noels71 outside a bank and coffee house in the town of Corte Madera. This night run was the one I'd most been looking forward to and was actually a little dismayed that it didn't seem that it would be taking place in a more remote area.

About a quarter mile into the run, I turned a corner and saw two rather steep but short hills up ahead. I slowed to a walk during these unexpected inclines and, determined to make up for the time, I decided not to stop again until the end of this leg. If you know how I train and how I've run both of my half marathons, I follow a running with walk breaks plan. I will run a mile then walk for a tenth of a mile, then run a mile, then walk for a tenth of a mile, etc.

So I brought my running pace down about 30 seconds per mile and kept going and going and going. My course went onto a bike path alongside a freeway and I enjoyed coasting a bit of downhill before I left the path into a residential area. There were a couple of runners gaining on me and I was just focusing on maintaining a pace that would get me to the end without my usual walk breaks when I heard a rustling to my right.

When I brought my head up I was stunned by the sight of at least two dozen horses, some white and others black or brown grazing in a pasture on the other side of a chainlink fence. They had to have been no more than 8 feet from where I ran past. They kept on eating and payed no mind to the wild woman running out of nowhere, past them and off down the street.

I don't know how to explain it other than to say seeing that many horses so suddenly, under the full moonlight, while running at night in a place I'd never even heard of was... surreal, to say the least, and emotional and breathtaking! I wished I'd taken my camera for the night leg!

About a mile beyond that a bike path took me most of the remainder of my leg, along a few wooden bridges over small waterways and the smell of the ocean was invigorating and helped me focus on getting to the end of my run...

Right past the 4.9 miles on my iPod which is when my Leg should have been over. I went on and it wasn't until it read 5.6 miles that I could see texasbuckeye waiting for me at the baton exchange in Sausalito. Again, I did my little mawz-sprint (which I imagine is probably only about a 9 minute mile) to the end! But just the joy of having set my mind to finishing without walking and being able to do it, was enough for me!


My first leg description can be found here: http://waitingforruns.blogspot.com/2008/04/my-first-leggggggg.html

No comments:

Relay Medal

Relay Medal

Team Waiting for Runs - Slideshow

1Mile's Relay Photo Stream

Texasbuckeye's pics

wondermom24's photos

abelisle's Relay Photos

mawz76's Relay Photos